The Building Department's mission is to ensure public safety, health, and general welfare by enforcing standards for structural strength, stability, sanitation, adequate light and ventilation in all structures within the Town of Summerville. The department aims to enhance the safety of life and property from fire and other hazards associated with the built environment. These potential hazards could arise from:
- Use and occupancy of buildings, structures, or premises
Permits & Inspections
All building permits can be applied for by clicking here for the online portal.
To achieve the Building Department's goal, we require permits and inspections for new buildings, renovations, and repairs to building structures and systems. This includes installing and maintaining all electrical, gas, mechanical, and plumbing work. Under this definition, the following projects also require a permit:
- If your gas or electrical service has been off for six months or more, a permit is required for a safety inspection before service can be restored.
- Installation of modular storage buildings
- Roofing work
- Swimming pool installation
- Vinyl siding installation
Carpet installation and painting do not require a building permit.
Exterior painting of commercial buildings may require approval by the Town’s Design Review Board. Please contact Planning and Zoning at 843-851-4213 for more information.